Tuesday, November 25, 2008

When is laughing too much?

You should start by reading this.

Okay, really, when is laughing at this too much? I do not doubt the reality of depression and the effects it can have on life, but really, how convenient is it to be able to claim depression and from that, a lawsuit can be filed. I don't doubt that what this lady did was despicable. To go on Myspace, feign being a boy and have a relationship with a girl, then cruelly break it off is a horrible thing to do, but can you really blame this woman for the girl's death? Additionally, how can you seriously diagnose a 13-year-old girl with depression? Speculating, she may be over-dramatic and have tendencies to react emotionally, but can you seriously claim a 13-year-old to have full-blown depression? I think that people throw this medical term out over and over, wanting to blame the stress of life on a medical disease, so when they don't feel like dealing with the problems, they can excuse it on this psychological disorder. As stated, I do believe in depression, however I also think people over-use it.

When I was 13, I was having problems, and my parents (who were divorced at the time) took me to a psychologist. I felt depressed about their divorce, the fact that I was not really popular, the fact that I didn't like my new step-mom. After a few visits, the psychologist told my parents that I suffered from depression and he wanted to put me on anti-depressants. Luckily, my mom was adamantly against the idea and, obviously, I turned out fine. Psychologists are so willing to jump on the gun and diagnose anyone with depression and pump them full of these drugs, which has a risk of dependency, and therefore could actually give them real depression when they stop taking it.

While what this lady did was despicable, yes, can you really claim that she had a malicious thought of having this girl commit suicide? People are mean to each other all the time... if we could really sue each other for someone being mean and the other committing suicide, there would be so many more lawsuits than there already are! I certainly hope that this woman feels a lot of remorse for her actions, however, people need to realize that there are risks involved in letting your young teenage daughter go online with these social networks and dating online!!! Also, if your child really has a problem of being depressed, you have to think about what can go on in these social networks, especially with online dating. Therefore, I ultimately think that is the responsibility of the mother to have restricted her daughter from partaking in Myspace and from dating online if she knew that her daughter had depression, as this could hurt her.

But then, if she were dating a real boy, he dumped her, and she committed suicide, you can't really blame the boy for her committing suicide. So, while this lady is despicable for pretending to be a guy and have a relationship with a girl then break it off, if it were really a teenage boy, would they then sue him as if he's responsible for her daughter committing suicide? Every person has a choice, and sadly, this 13-year-old girl chose to take her life. I would not be able to find her guilty. :\

No comments: