Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dragons and nothing to do with them...



So, when I had decided to start writing my book, I had just started reading this trilogy by Margaret Weis. It's a fairly interesting story about a woman who is next in line to be the Mistress of Dragons - the leader of the kingdom of Seth and the strongest in magic who would be their leader in protecting their people from the dragons. However, little do they know that in reality, the Mistress is not all that she seems.

Draconas, a young dragon selected to be the Walker (a dragon who can walk in the form of a human), has a plan to remove Maristara, a rogue dragon who broke the dragon laws by taking over the kingdom of Seth, by sneaking into her kindgom and trying to capture the Mistress of Dragons. He tricks the kingdom of Idylswyld into thinking that a dragon is attacking their lands (he's only nibbling on some cattle and burning a few farmlands), and requests the king to travel with him to Seth.

Little does Draconas know that what he thinks is the truth of the matter is not even close, as betrayals, hunts, and danger ensues as their plan changes with each new discovery.

Somehow, having nothing to do with what I was writing, this became a sort of muse for me. I would be reading it, then a sudden flash of a new plot point would form in my head (as I was reading, so then I'd realize I've read 1-3 pages without actually processing the words on them), completely unrelated to what I was reading. Lucky for me, all this happened in my very beginning stages, so it gave me a nice push forward in my book and lots of inspiration. This is another book I recommend... while not nearly as good as Terry Goodkind, it is still worth a read.

No comments: